Friday, May 30, 2008

Talk Story dedicated to Boss Man (who introduced me to his paint brush Old Dirty Bastard aka ODB)

I won't drop names but I used to work in a wood shop in Brooklyn for a few years. The boss I had was my Mister Miaggi, the old man teacher from the Karate Kid. He taught me how to use a tape measurer to its fullest and the idea of being "hyper aware" to name a few.
Being hyper aware is essential when using power tools like "the table saw".

Now I don't really smoke weed too often these days, and I didn't then either. One puff every now and then and I'm a little kid in a huge world with a little bit of blurry eyesight.

Well one day after finishing a month long job, it was Friday and payday. We built so many art crates, the shop was a maze of crates all the way into the office where he gave us our checks. Boss man decides to pack a bowl with a smile.

He says common Manny one puff. I say no way boss... OK Boss. My best friend since 4 years old is my co-worker by the way and he is sitting next to me with a smile as well. One puff and boom the crates turn into big tall walls through a wide angle lense.

We're not gonna be in the shop til the next job so I gather an arm full of scrap wood for art project and whatever, and I hop on my bike to leave. As I leave the shop on my bike, one hand on the handle bars one arm wrapped around a plank or two of wood, Boss man says, "Aye Manny, don't forget your safety glasses". I have no free hands, so he puts them on my face and I start riding home.

Boss man I'm pretty sure was laughin' at me.
Riding' home was tough.
I couldn't stop laughing
I must of looked crazy and was I guess at the time.

I almost hit a few cars along the 10 block ride home.

Good memory.
Good times.
Aloha Boss Man.

No comments: